A question we get asked all the time in the salon, what is causing hair loss and how can we help?
There are many causes for hair loss and we have definitely noticed an increase of international expats experiencing hair loss on arrival to Hong Kong.
There will be multiple factors contributing to this including the stress of moving countries, setting up a new life, starting a new job and the change in the water.
A large majority are related to post natal hair loss after nurturing and caring for our little ones in our tummy’s, the after effects keep on giving!
It is usually concentrated around the front hairline and can be subtle or more severe.
Hair loss can have various causes, including:
- Genetics: Hair loss can be hereditary and passed down through generations.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes due to pregnancy, menopause, or thyroid issues can lead to hair loss.
- Medical conditions: Medical conditions such as alopecia areata, scalp infections, and autoimmune diseases can cause hair loss.
- Medications: Certain medications, such as chemotherapy drugs, blood thinners, and antidepressants, can cause hair loss.
- Nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies, especially of iron and protein, can lead to hair loss.
- Stress: High levels of stress can cause hair loss.
If you're experiencing hair loss, there are several things you can do to help:
- Consult a healthcare professional: It's important to identify the cause of hair loss, so you can treat it effectively.
- Use gentle hair products: Use hair products that are gentle on your hair and scalp, and avoid using harsh chemicals and heat styling tools.
- Eat a balanced diet: Eating a well-balanced diet that's rich in protein, iron, and other nutrients can help prevent hair loss
due to nutritional deficiencies.
- Manage stress: Try to manage stress through techniques such as meditation, exercise, and getting enough sleep.
- Consider hair treatments: There are several hair treatments available that can help promote hair growth, including topical medications, hair transplants, and low-level laser therapy.
- Consider wearing protective styles: If you're experiencing hair loss, consider wearing protective styles such as wigs, weaves, or braids to give your hair a break from daily styling.
- I highly recommend a filter for your shower in Hong Kong as the water has big levels of Chlorine and other chemicals. There are many on the market you can choose from.
Remember, it's important to consult a healthcare professional before starting any treatment for hair loss.