A toner is a hair colouring service used to alter the tone or hue of pre-lightened hair.
Toners are commonly used after bleaching or lightening hair with highlights or balayage to achieve the perfect tone of your colour.It is also versatile and can be used to add shine.
Toners come in different shades, such as platinum, ash, beige, violet, peach or pink and they are applied to the hair after it has been lightened. The toner works by counteracting any unwanted brassy or yellow tones that may result from the lightening process, resulting in a more even, desirable hair colour.
The duration of the toner's effects can vary depending on several factors, such as:
Semi, Demi and Permanent
• This determines how deep the colour can penetrate into the hair.
• The more permanent the more it will lift your natural base exposing warmth so this is not a popular choice when pre-lightening.
• The more permanent the longer it will take to fade.
• The porosity of the hair is really important, the healthier your hair is, the longer it will last.
• The type of shampoo and the frequency of washing.
• Conditioning and treatments to keep the hair in good condition.
• Hot Water temperature and styling with heated tools will encourage colour fade.
Like any colour, it will begin to fade from the very first wash. This is unavoidable but taking into consideration the points above, they can help you maximise longevity. Toners last anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks before they start to fade or wash out completely. However, it's essential to note that each person's hair is different and may react differently to toners, so the longevity of the toner's effects may vary from person to person.